Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Koalas and Kangaroos with a side of Rugby

I had an exciting weekend, as you can probably guess from the title. On Saturday we took a trip to The Australia Zoo. As previously mentioned, this is the zoo that Steve Irwin, a.k.a. the Crocodile Hunter, worked. There were pictures of him everywhere and a statue out front, not to mention the road is called Steve Irwin Way! The people here really embraced him as an Australian icon. The zoo was about an hour bus ride away. Although the rain put a bit of a damper on our day, we still had a blast. We saw crocodiles, dingoes, wombats, koalas, wallabies, elephants, tigers, lots of kangaroos, and many more. My favorite part was getting to play with the kangaroos. There was just a huge field with trees and park benches where the kangaroos lived. We got to walk around and feed them and pet them and basically just hang out with them. I also got to feed an elephant. There was just a constant line of people circulating in front of the elephant and grabbing a piece of fruit and holding it out for him to grab with his trunk. It was a fun experience.

On Sunday I attended my first rugby game. Our team, the Queensland Reds, took on the Western Force. We ended up winning 50-10, Go Reds! We went with a big group of American students, which was interesting considering none of us understood rugby very well. We just cheered when everyone else did and had fun.

Other than that, classes are going well, the weather is improving (it was raining A LOT), and I am getting excited for Easter break when I get to go sky diving and bungee jumping. I also just found out that my mom and sister are probably going to visit me at the end of my time in Australia! I’m really excited to show them around this side of the world. Check out the pictures from the zoo and rugby match.

Right at the Entrance

Feeding the Elephant

Hanging out with Kangaroos


My roommate and I at the game

No comments:

Post a Comment